|Practices and Industries
||News and Events
George T. Lee III
Thanksgiving Tower, Suite 3000
1601 Elm Street
Area(s) of Expertise
George Lee, a partner in Gardere's Corporate Practice Group, focuses his practice on the representation of leading investment advisers, hedge funds, private equity funds, venture capital funds and family offices. His practice includes advising clients on forming, structuring and launching their businesses. Mr. Lee also represents clients in connection with registration, compliance and regulatory examinations before state and federal regulators, including the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
Prior to joining Gardere, Mr. Lee was a partner and co-founder of Lee & Stone LLP. He has also served as general counsel to a leading Texas activist hedge fund in Dallas. Mr. Lee previously practiced law in New York, Dallas and Houston for several international law firms, including:
- LeBoeuf, Lamb, Greene & MacRae LLP (predecessor to Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP)
- Akin, Gump Strauss, Hauer & Feld LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
While at these firms, Mr. Lee represented private funds and public corporations in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, as well as securities and regulatory compliance, including Sarbanes Oxley compliance.
Mr. Lee is a frequent lecturer and author of numerous articles on securities law regulation and compliance. He has also worked with state and federal regulators on proposed rulemaking and was instrumental in helping shape the SEC’s “Family Office Exception” to regulation under the Dodd-Frank Act and the private fund advisers exemption under Texas law.
- J.D., The University of Texas at Austin School of Law (1987)
- B.A., Carleton College, with honors (1983)
Publications and Speeches
- Co-Author, A Close Look At The New Texas M&A Broker Exemption, Law360 (April 30, 2015)
- Co-Author with Jon Rafpor, Effective Disclosure of Investment Adviser Conflicts – Now More Important than Ever, Prac. Compliance & Risk Mgmt. for Sec. Industry, May-June 2012.
- Speaker, Address for TexasBarCLE's 12th Annual Advanced Business Law Course: Hot Topics in Private Equity and Hedge Funds (Nov. 6, 2014).
- Speaker, Address to the Dallas Area Real Estate Lawyers Discussion Group: Securities Law Issues for Real Estate Lawyers (Oct. 8, 2014).
- Speaker, Address for TexasBarCLE Webinar: New Registration Exemption for Texas Fund Managers (March 18, 2014) (webinar was approved for State Bar College Credit and Texas Board of Legal Specialization Credit in Estate Planning & Probate and Tax Law).
- Co-Author with Rick Jordan, New Texas Rules Require Texas-Based Investment Fund Managers to Conduct a Compliance Review Before March 31, 2014, Gardere Securities Alert, Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP (Jan. 24, 2014).
- Admitted to practice before:
- Texas State Courts
- New York State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Texas
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Business Law Section
- Chair, Investment Funds Committee
- Member, New York State Bar
- Member, College of the State Bar of Texas
- Member, Advisory Board, Private Equity CFO Association