|Practices and Industries
||News and Events
Hoang Quan Vu
Partner, Banking and Finance
Wells Fargo Plaza, Suite 3400
Area(s) of Expertise
Hoang “Quan” Vu has represented lenders (senior and subordinated), issuers, borrowers, sponsors, purchasers, and various public and private companies on a variety of transactions totaling over $15 billion. His practice has an emphasis on finance transactions involving companies in the oil and gas industry and other energy-related industries, including:
- Syndicated finance
- Project finance
- Oil, gas and energy (including alternative energy) lending
- Leveraged lending
- Asset-based lending
- First/second lien financing
- General secured and unsecured commercial finance
- Acquisition finance
- Real estate lending
- Structured finance
- Loan and credit restructuring
- Reorganizations, workouts, bankruptcy collateral analysis and sales
- Sale leaseback transactions
- Uniform Commercial Code, opinion and collateral transactions
- Mergers and acquisitions
His practice also includes general corporate, contract, real estate, intellectual property, distributorship and litigation matters, with an emphasis on Asian-owned businesses.
Prior to joining Gardere, Mr. Vu was a partner in the Banking and Finance Group at Mayer Brown LLP.
Clients and Matters
- Represented GMAC LLC in a $3.5 billion revolving and term loan facility made to Residential Funding Company LLC and GMAC Mortgage LLC in connection with a public exchange offer of existing notes by Residential Capital LLC.
- Represented agent bank for a $1.3 billion revolving and term loan facility for W&T Offshore Inc. in connection with the acquisition of offshore oil and gas assets in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented ConocoPhillips Company in connection with refinancing and ongoing development of a more than $1 billion LNG facility in Texas.
- Represented underwriters and agent bank in connection with a U.S. $600 million bond and loan project finance and parallel Canadian $600 million bond and loan project finance of a U.S.-Canadian pipeline co-sponsored by four major energy companies.
- Represented first lien agent bank in a $700 million refinancing of a $300 million first lien credit agreement in connection with the acquisition of Texas and Louisiana offshore oil and gas properties.
- Represented agent bank in connection with $800 million credit facility to an investment grade company.
- Represented agent bank in a $500 million bridge facility to Reliant Energy.
- Represented agent bank for the senior debt on a $500 million U.S. and Canadian global credit facility (with an initial $300 million borrowing base) for a public oil and gas company.
- Represented agent bank in connection with a $450 million credit facility for the purchase of more than 22 turbines.
- Represented Global Fortune 500® company in proposed acquisition of a business process solutions company previously publicly valued in excess of $450 million.
- Represented agent bank in a $350 million credit facility for an oil and gas exploration and development company and the related mortgage-back commodity swap arrangement.
- Represented the senior debt (more than 20 insurance companies) on the $330 million project financing of the new St. Louis Cardinals baseball stadium.
- Represented borrower in connection with a $250 million credit facility to finance the construction of multiple mobile pods to be used for oil and gas recovery services.
- Represented agent bank in a $140 million project finance of a wind turbine facility in Krayn, Pa.
- Represented agent bank in a $135 million refinancing of a project financing of a gas gathering system in Wyoming.
- Represented an energy trading company, as borrower, in the negotiation of a $130 million uncommitted senior credit facility and of a subsequent subordinated loan facility.
- Represented agent bank in $115 million term loan and revolving credit facility to an oilfield services company.
- Represented agent bank in $105 million credit facility to a subsidiary of a public energy company in connection with the monetization of a prepaid gas forward sale contract.
- Represented agent bank in connection with a $100 million credit facility for a gas gathering borrower in Texas.
- Represented agent bank for the senior debt in connection with the project finance of a more than $100 million fractionation plant and cryogenic plant in Louisiana.
- Represented public energy company as a manufacturer and lessee in series of sale leaseback transactions involving $75 million of solar panel systems with three financial institutions.
- Represented agent bank in $50 million oil and gas borrowing base credit facility to a borrower in the oil and gas exploration and production business.
- Represented J.B. Poindexter & Co. Inc., as borrower, in connection with a variety of asset-based credit facilities, including a $50 million asset-based credit facility with LaSalle Bank National Association, and in connection with the acquisition of various companies in and out of bankruptcy.
- Represented agent bank in $45 million revolving and term loan facility for oilfield services company.
- Represented lender in $30 million revolving facility to a private mezzanine lender.
- Represented borrower in oilfield services industry in $25 million revolving credit facility.
- Represented agent bank in a revolving credit facility to a proppants company.
- Represented a Japanese bank as senior agent in connection with the synthetic leasing of various aircraft.
- Represented various U.S. and Canadian lenders and private companies on numerous mezzanine facilities and oil and gas borrowing base credit facilities.
- Represented an ethanol company as the borrower and issuer in a proposed project finance of an ethanol plant in Montana.
- Represented agent bank in successful, bankruptcy court-approved, payoff of an insurance-backed credit facility to Bob West Treasure LLC, and Enron special purpose vehicle.
- Represented affiliated borrower entities in a number of loan facilities with the Bank of San Antonio.
- Representing a multiple creditors' committees and bankrupt debtors in collateral and lien analysis and related bankruptcy matters.
- Representing bankrupt debtor in the cable industry in a DIP facility.
- Represented energy trader in multiple hedge transactions and provided finance advice regarding extensions of credit by energy trader.
- Represented natural gas trader in various financing, acquisition and contractual dispute matters.
- Represented agent bank in two total return swap transactions relating to loan facilities involving power plants.
- Represented agent bank in a workout of a term and revolving credit facility to a company engaged in the wire harness business.
- Represented a U.K. bank as agent bank for the senior debt on the monetization of metering assets.
- Representation of creditors and borrowers in various Article 8 and Article 9 Uniform Commercial Code matters.
- Represented various private companies (including several Asian-owned businesses) in negotiation of purchase and sale agreements, acquisitions, leases of real property, intellectual property matters, distribution agreements, contractual disputes, litigation and general corporate matters.
- J.D., Harvard Law School (1995)
- A.B., Harvard College, magna cum laude (1992)
- Honors Economics
- Recipient, John Harvard Scholarship
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Chair, Board of Trustees, Asian American Bar Foundation, Inc. (AABF) (2007–present) (help disburse over $10,000 annually to help numerous law students and student organizations, and support domestic violence groups, pro bono groups, immigration organizations, judicial interns, public interest workers, and hurricane relief funds)
- Former Chair, Board of Directors, Asian American Bar Association of Houston (AABA) (2007–2010)
- Former President (2005) (helped establish first Community Outreach Program for the AABA and the pilot AABA Mentorship Program)
- Member, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (2003–present)
- Member, National Conference Committee, National Conference of Vietnamese American Attorneys (2012)
Honors and Awards
Recognized, Texas Rising Star, Law & Politics Media Inc. as published in Texas Monthly (2004–2009)
- Recognized, Best Lawyers Under 40, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (2004)
- Recognized, Lawyer on the Fast Track, H Texas Magazine
- Recipient, Texas Legal Diversity Award, Texas Diversity Council (2008)
- Honoree and Keynote Speaker, Youth Leadership Council Banquet (2010)
President, Harvard University Club of Houston (2007–present)
- Member, Board of Directors (2004–present)
- Co-Chair, Harvard's 375th Anniversary Fete (raise proceeds for various charitable causes) (May 2012).
- Former Vice President, Programs (2004–2007)
- Former Co-Chair, inaugural Crimson Award Gala: Building Bridges (raised approximately $120,000 in funds to help send Houston-area principals, teachers, and leaders of non-profit organizations to Harvard University for educational, leadership, and management training and to provide for education-related scholarships and stipends) (2005)
- Graduate, Center for Houston’s Future Leadership Class (Fall 2008)
- Director, Texas Dragon Boat Association (2011–present)
- Former Member, Asian Advisory Board, Houston Police Department
- Frequent panelist and speaker on diversity and leadership issues at numerous conferences and events (including Texas Diversity Council Annual Diversity & Leadership Conference and National Conference of Vietnamese American Attorneys)
- Competitive Ballroom Dancer, USA DanceSport
- Former National Finalist in Amateur Championship American Style Ballroom (2003)
- Former Texas Amateur International Standard Champion