|Practices and Industries
||News and Events
Kay Lyn Schwartz
Thanksgiving Tower, Suite 3000
1601 Elm Street
Area(s) of Expertise
Kay Schwartz has more than 20 years of experience in intellectual property and technology matters. The majority of her practice focuses on advising clients in trademark selection, usage, management, registration and protection. Ms. Schwartz's practice also involves all phases of intellectual property litigation, including representing clients in administrative proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (PTO) and under the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). Her expertise also extends to intellectual property business transactions, including acquiring, transferring and licensing of all intellectual property assets.
Clients and Matters
Ms. Schwartz represents clients in all types of industries including academia, alarm and security, building products, computer software, electronics, medical devices/health care, oil and gas, restaurants, retail, technology and telecommunications.
Ms. Schwartz’s current representation, among others, includes:
- ACE Cash Express Inc.
- Ennis Paint Inc.
- Essilor of America Inc.
- Lacy Distribution Inc.
- LQ Management, L.L.C.
- NCI Building Systems Inc.
- Texas Health Resources Inc.
- Tidings of Love Inc./Angels of Love Inc.
- Tucker-Rocky Corporation Inc.
- M.C.E., Texas A&M University
- J.D., University of Houston Law Center, with honors
- Member, Order of the Barons
- Member, Order of the Coif
- Member, Phi Delta Phi
- B.S., Texas A&M University, cum laude
Publications and Speeches
- Co-Author with Jason Fulmer, Prevent the XXX Industry from Using Your Trademark, Gardere Intellectual Property Alert, Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP, Sept. 2, 2011.
- Quoted, Triple-X Sites Could Cause Supersized Headaches, The Dallas Morning News, Feb. 21, 2012, http://www.dallasnews.com/business/columnists/cheryl-hall/ 20120221-triple-x-sites-could-cause-supersize-headaches.ece.
- Admitted to practice before:
- Texas State Courts
- U.S. District Courts for all districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, D.C. and Federal Circuits
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Law Section
- Former Board and Executive Committee Member
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Dallas Bar Foundation
Honors and Awards
- Recognized, AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell® PEER REVIEW RATINGS™
- Sustainer, Junior League of Dallas
- Member, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Member, Tau Beta Pi Honor Society
- Member, Chi Epsilon Honor Society
- Member, Phi Delta Phi Honor Society
- Member, Highland Park United Methodist Church
- Former Co-Chair, Evergreen Gala
- Former Co-Chair, Jingle Bell Run