|Practices and Industries
||News and Events
Lawrence J. Pirtle
Of Counsel, Tax
Wells Fargo Plaza, Suite 3400
Area(s) of Expertise
Lawrence J. Pirtle has more than 40 years experience as a lawyer. He concentrates his practice in the areas of federal and state taxation; tax and estate planning; wills and trusts; probate, estate and trust administration; tax-exempt organizations; business entity formation; and property and family wealth management and transfers. His practice includes representing clients in tax controversies before the Internal Revenue Service and Texas tax authorities.
Clients and Matters
Mr. Pirtle represents and has represented many individual, business, and institutional clients in matters and transactions of varied scope, size, and complexity within his areas of practice. Mr. Pirtleís representative matters on behalf of his clients cover a broad range, including:
- Wealth transfers, wills, trusts and associated planning.
- Planning, formation, operation and transfers of family business and property ventures, including corporations, partnerships (general and limited), limited liability companies and trusts.
- Representation of executors and trustees in connection with administration of estates and trusts and related matters.
- Representation of estate and trust beneficiaries.
- Federal and state taxation issues and related planning.
- Controverted tax matters before federal and state tax authorities.
- Property agreements, pre-and post-marital agreements, and related matters.
- Charitable planning, family foundations and representation of tax-exempt organizations.
- M.L.A., University of St. Thomas (1992)
- J.D., University of Houston Law Center, summa cum laude (1966)
- B.B.A., University of Houston, magna cum laude (1962)
Publications and Speeches
Mr. Pirtle has delivered papers and has been a speaker at numerous professional meetings and continuing education programs. He has also spoken before community groups.
- Speaker and Author, "Recent Developments, Legislative and Case Law Developments," University of Houston Law Foundation, Wills and Probate Institute, 2004. Delivered papers and addressed same topic 1993-2003.
- Speaker and Author, ďRecent Developments in Estate and Gift Tax Law,Ē South Texas College of Law, Wills and Probate Institute, 2004.
- Speaker and Author, "Ethical Consideration in Business and Estate Planning," University of Houston Law Foundation, Business and Estate Planning Institute, 2001. Delivered papers and addressed same topic 1997-2000.
- Speaker and Author, "Case Law Update," South Texas College of Law, Wills & Probate Institute, 1996. Delivered paper and addressed same topic 1995.
- Speaker, "Basics of Estate Planning," Houston East End Lions Club (2002).
- Speaker, "Recent Developments, Willis, Estate, Trusts," Houston Bar Association, Real Property, Probate & Trust Section (2001).
- Speaker, "Importance of Wills," Morning Star Baptist Church Menís Club (2001).
- Speaker, "Recent Developments - Wills, Trusts and Federal Estate and Gift Taxes," Mainland Bar Association (1998).
- Speaker, "Legal Issues Facing Tax Exempt Organizations," Joint Presentation with Grant Thornton CPAs (1998).
- Speaker, "Philosophy of Drafting, Advanced Drafting: Estate Planning and Probate Course," State Bar of Texas (1997).
- Speaker, "Texas Probate and Trust Codes, Case Law, and Legislative Update," Advanced Estate Planning and Probate Law Seminar for Attorneys, Legal Assistants and Other Professionals (1997).
- Speaker, "Recent Case Law Developments," Probate, Trusts, and Estate Section of the Houston Bar Association (1997).
- Speaker, "Basic Legal Considerations in Will and Trust Planning in Texas," Residence Association Memorial City Terrace (1997).
- Speaker, "Basic Legal Considerations in Planning," Cox Enterprises Mid-Career Planning Seminar (1997).
- Speaker, "Basic Legal Considerations in the Estate Planning Area," U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency Retirement Seminar (1993).
- Speaker, "Ethics: Representation Issues, Representation Letters, etc.," State Bar of Texas Advanced Estate Planning & Probate Course (1992).
- Speaker, "Sources of and Responses to Fiduciary Liability," Houston Bar Association, Wills & Probate Institute (1992).
- Speaker, "Ethical Considerations in Estate Planning and Will Preparation," University of Houston Law Foundation, Willis and Probate Institute (1992).
- Participant, Houston Bar Association Speakersí Bureau
- Admitted to practice before:
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- Texas Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Former Chairman, Continuing Legal Education Committee (1983-1984)
- Participant, Legal Line
- Participant, Speakers Bureau
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Board Member, Houston Law Review
- Former Chairman of the Board (1992-1995)
- Certified Public Accountant, Texas
- Member, Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants, Houston Chapter
- Master of the Bench and Past President, A.A. White American Inn of Court
Honors and Awards
- Recognized, The Best Lawyers in America (Steven Naifeh & Gregory White Smith eds., Woodward/White Inc.) (15+ years)
- Recognized, Texas Super Lawyers, Law & Politics Media Inc. as published in Texas Monthly (each year since its first publication in 2003)
- Estate Planning & Probate
- Recognized, Houstonís Top Lawyers, H Texas Magazine (2005)
- Recognized, Houstonís Best Lawyers, Inside Houston Magazine
- Recognized, AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell® PEER REVIEW RATINGS™
- Board Member and Former President, University of Houston Law Foundation
- Board Member and Past Chairman of the Board, Houston Law Review
- Member, St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church
- Former Member and Vice-Chair, Texas Board of Legal Specialization (1995-2002)
- Former Board Member, University of Houston Law Alumni Association (1982-1990)
- Former Chairman of the Board (1988-1989)
- Former Board Member, Local Non-Profit Entities
- Former Coach, Youth Softball, Soccer and Basketball
September 10, 2012
Texas Super Lawyers Recognizes 49 Gardere Attorneys - More >
August 22, 2012
Best Lawyers 2013 Recognizes 52 Gardere Attorneys - More >
September 13, 2011
47 Gardere Attorneys Named to Texas Super Lawyers - More >
September 12, 2011
The Best Lawyers in America 2012 Recognizes 43 Gardere Attorneys - More >
September 15, 2010
45 Gardere Lawyers Named To Texas Super Lawyers - More >
August 09, 2010
'Best Lawyers in America' Honors 41 Gardere Attorneys - More >
September 16, 2009
Gardere Attorneys Garner Super Lawyers Honors - More >
August 04, 2009
'The Best Lawyers in America' Honors 40 Gardere Attorneys - More >
October 08, 2008
'The Best Lawyers in America' Honors 36 Gardere Partners - More >
September 17, 2008
Gardere Attorneys Earn Super Lawyers Recognition - More >
October 05, 2007
'Best Lawyers in America' Recognizes 34 Gardere Attorneys - More >
September 06, 2006
26 Gardere Attorneys Among 'Best Lawyers In America' - More >
June 23, 2005
H Texas Magazine Lists Four Among Houston's Best Attorneys - More >
November 08, 2004
Twelve Gardere Attorneys Listed As "Best Lawyers In America" - More >
September 28, 2004
Super Lawyers 2004 Includes 51 Gardere Attorneys - More >
October 24, 2003
Super Lawyers 2003 Honors 49 Gardere Attorneys - More >
April 29, 2002
Seven Gardere Attorneys Tapped As "Tops" In Publication Surveys - More >
January 11, 2013
American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 (HR 8) New Tax Provisions for 2013 - Gardere Tax Alert - More >
November 27, 2012
Tax Planning in 2012 for the 2013 Fiscal Cliff - Gardere Tax Alert - More >