|Practices and Industries
||News and Events
Holland N. O'Neil
Chair of the Board of Directors, Partner
Financial Restructuring and Reorganization
Thanksgiving Tower, Suite 3000
1601 Elm Street
Area(s) of Expertise
Holly O'Neil is the Chair of the Board of Directors of the Firm. She is a Partner in the Financial Restructuring and Reorganization Practice Group of Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP, with a comprehensive practice including complex bankruptcies, restructurings, and workouts, acquisitions of distressed assets and bankruptcy litigation. With 25 years of experience in this practice area, Ms. O’Neil has represented clients in all aspects of turnarounds and restructurings. Her clients have included debtors in possession, creditors’ committees, examiners, creditors and trustees, as well as clients interested in acquiring assets from troubled companies. Ms. O’Neil regularly practices before bankruptcy courts throughout the country.
- J.D., Texas Tech University School of Law (1987)
- Editor-in-Chief, Texas Tech Law Review (1986, 1987)
- B.B.A., The University of Texas at Austin McCombs School of Business (1983)
Publications and Speeches
- Panelist, American Bankruptcy Institute Spring Meeting Panel Discussion: Business Track: The 363 Sale Process From a Transactional Perspective, Washington, D.C., April 26, 2014
- Speaker, Address for the State Bar of Texas Bankruptcy Law Section Webinar: Ethics and Valuation in Bankruptcy.
- Speaker, Address at the Northern District of Texas Bench-Bark Conference: Preservation of Claims Post-Confirmation and Standing Issues.
- Speaker, Address at The University of Texas School of Law 29th Annual Jay L. Westbrook Bankruptcy Conference: Receivership.
- Speaker, Address at the Turnaround Management Association Restructuring Workshop & Networking Event: An Insider's View and Legal Lessons Learned from The Texas Rangers Bankruptcy Case.
- Co-Author, On-Life Support? Selling Health Care Assets in Chapter 11, ABI J.
- Speaker, Dallas Bar Association Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section Panel Discussion: The JIBs and Jabs of Bankruptcy in the Oil Patch - Current Issues in Oil & Gas Related Bankruptcy Cases.
- Speaker, Association for Corporate Growth/Turnaround Management Association Panel: Acquisition of Assets from Troubled Companies - Opportunities and Pitfalls.
- Speaker, State Bar of Texas Annual Convention Bankruptcy Panel Discussion.
- Speaker, Texas Lawyer Roundtable Discussion: Bankruptcy Roundtable.
- Speaker, Address to the Dallas Bar Association Bankruptcy Section: Recent Fee Review Issues from Fleming and Mirant.
- Speaker, Address at the 17th Annual Southwest Bankruptcy Conference: Current Developments in DIP Financing, Absolute Priority and Pre-Confirmation 363 Sales (authored paper for conference proceedings).
- Speaker, Address for a Thomson Reuters Webcast: DeJaVu All Over Again - Issues Arising from the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 (authored paper for webcast proceedings).
- Speaker, Address to The University of Texas School of Law Advanced Bankruptcy Litigation Seminar: Alternatives to a Trustee, Including CRO, Examiner and Examiner with Expanded Powers (authored paper for seminar proceedings).
- Speaker, Address to the Southern Methodist University 11th Annual Dedman School of Law Corporate Counsel Symposium: Answering to a Higher Calling: Grasping the Realities of When Directors' and Officers' Duties Shift to the Company's Creditors (authored paper for symposium proceedings).
- Speaker, Address at the University of Houston Law Foundation Continuing Legal Education Program: Landlord Remedies for Tenants' Breaches (authored paper for program proceedings).
- Admitted to practice before:
- Texas State Courts
- Arizona State Courts
- U.S. District Court for all districts of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Co-Chair, American Bankruptcy Institute, CARE Financial Literacy Conference, Dallas, Texas (Sept. 2014)
- Editor, American Bankruptcy Institute Healthcare Newsletter
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Board Member, International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Dallas Chapter
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Bankruptcy Law Section
- Member, Bankruptcy Liaison Committee
Honors and Awards
- Recipient, Association of Women Attorneys, “Women at the Pinnacle of the Legal Profession” Award (2015)
- Recipient, Corporate LiveWire, Lawyer of the Year, Bankruptcy & Restructuring (Dallas, TX) (2014)
- Recipient, World’s Leading Women in Business Law Award – Insolvency and Restructuring (2014)
- Co-Recipient, 2013 Turnaround Award: Healthcare and Life Science Deal of the Year (Over $100 Million) (award recognizes the leading distressed investing, restructuring and turnaround professionals across the United States and international markets)
- Recipient, ICFM 100 Leading Female Lawyers Award (2014)
- Recognized, The Best Lawyers in America (Steven Naifeh & Gregory White Smith eds., Woodward/White Inc.) (2006-2015)
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Recognized, The Best Lawyers in America (Steven Naifeh & Gregory White Smith eds., Woodward/White Inc.) (2012-2015)
- Recognized, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Tom Wicker ed., Chambers & Partners) (2004-2014)
- Bankruptcy/Restructuring [Texas]
- Recognized, Texas Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters business, as published in Texas Monthly (each year since its first publication in 2003)
- Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights
- Recognized, Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine (2011, 2015)
- Recognized, The Best Women Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine (2010)
- Recognized, AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell® PEER REVIEW RATINGS™