|Practices and Industries
||News and Events
Michael H. Newman
Thanksgiving Tower, Suite 3000
1601 Elm Street
Area(s) of Expertise
Michael Newman is a partner at Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP. He has practiced law in the Firm's Corporate and Securities Practice Group since 1995, working on corporate, securities, financings, mergers and acquisitions, international joint ventures and private equity matters for a wide range of clients, including public and private companies, boards of directors, board committees, executive officers, startup businesses, private equity funds and private equity portfolio companies. In addition, Mr. Newman serves as outside counsel for a number of clients, providing general corporate legal services, contract drafting and negotiation, as well as day-to-day business counsel.
Mr. Newman has assisted clients on a national and international scope with corporate finance, joint venture arrangements, mergers and acquisitions, franchise matters and executive compensation matters. Additionally, Mr. Newman has represented private equity funds in making investments in portfolio companies, as well as private equity funded portfolio companies in various capacities, including corporate and securities transactions.
Mr. Newman's clients operate in a diverse range of industries, including:
- Manufacturing and distribution
- Franchising and multilevel marketing
- Energy and energy services
- Retail and wholesale
- Marketing and consulting
- Internet and media
- Logistic solutions
- Real estate development
- Software and web development
- Private equity
- Investment advisers and hedge funds
- Telecommunications services
- Restaurants and hospitality
- Design and architectural engineering
Mr. Newman is a member of Gardere's Private Equity Team, Securities and Corporate Governance Team and Retail Team. Mr. Newman also recently served as the Firm's hiring partner.
Clients and Matters
Private Equity Matters
- Represented private equity funds and venture capital entities in making equity and debt investments in portfolio companies.
- Represented privately held portfolio companies in various matters, including executive compensation arrangements, day-to-day legal affairs and the sale of such businesses.
- Represented individuals and entities forming private equity and hedge funds, and in connection with structuring such funds, preparing fund documents and conducting private offerings of equity securities in such funds.
- Represented individual executives in engagements with private equity funds and companies controlled by those funds.
Mergers and Acquisitions Matters
- Represented public companies in the software, logistics and construction industries in connection with their respective acquisition programs.
- Represented private equity funds and other purchasers in connection with their acquisition programs.
- Represented numerous closely held entities in connection with their sale, including ongoing employment and compensation arrangements.
- Represented a road paint manufacturing company in connection with multiple international joint ventures and acquisition program.
- Represented numerous buyers, sellers and target companies in connection with distressed acquisition and sale transactions.
- Represented public companies in the issuance of secondary offerings of equity and debt securities.
- Represented companies in initial public offerings.
- Advised public companies in connection with corporate governance matters, including compliance with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act and executive compensation matters.
- Represented public companies in connection with merger and acquisition transactions.
- Advised boards of directors and board committees.
- J.D., The University of Texas School of Law, with honors (1995)
- B.A., Emory University (1992)
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
In addition, Mr. Newman pursued studies at The London School of Economics and Political Science and University College of London in non-degree programs.
Publications and Speeches
- Co-Presenter with Randall Ray, Address at Session Two of the Gardere M&A Toolbox: Before Negotiating the Definitive Purchase Agreement (Jan. 24, 2012).
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Recognized, Texas Super Lawyers, Law & Politics Media Inc. as published in Texas Monthly (2004)
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Securities & Corporate Finance
- Recognized, Texas Rising Stars, Law & Politics Media Inc. as published in Texas Monthly (2004)
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Securities & Corporate Finance
- Recognized, The Best Lawyers in Dallas Under 40, D Magazine (2004, 2006)
- Director, The Jewish Community Center of Dallas
- Director, The Wilson Foundation (http://www.thewilsonfoundation.org)
- Graduate, Dallas Regional Chamber®, Leadership Dallas (2005)
- Former Board Member, The Texas Law Review Association
- Former Board Member, Dallas International School
- Former Leadership, Aspen Animal Shelter and Boarding Kennel
- Former Leadership, Anti-Defamation League® North Texas/Oklahoma Region
- Former Leadership, Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas
- Former Member, Alumni Board, St. Mark’s School of Texas
November 08, 2010
Gardere Retail Team Sponsors Inaugural 2010 RILA Retail Law Conference - More >
October 12, 2010
Gardere Retail Team Sponsors 2010 NRF HR Summit - More >
October 07, 2010
Gardere Retail Team Sponsors 2010 Retailing Summit - More >
April 23, 2006
D Magazine Names Six Gardere Attorneys 'Dallas' Best Under 40' - More >
September 28, 2004
Super Lawyers 2004 Includes 51 Gardere Attorneys - More >
April 03, 2003
Gardere Names Eight New Partners - More >
December 06, 2012
Are Facebook Posts Fair Disclosure? - More >
March 25, 2011
SEC Proposes Rule to Readopt Beneficial Ownership Reporting Requirements on Security-Based Swaps - More >
January 26, 2011
SEC Proposes Amendment of "Accredited Investor" Definition to Conform with Dodd-Frank Requirements - More >
January 24, 2012
Gardere M&A Toolbox - Session Two: Before Negotiating the Definitive Purchase Agreement - More >