|Practices and Industries
||News and Events
Stephen A. McCartin
Partner, Bankruptcy and Business Reorganization
Thanksgiving Tower, Suite 3000
1601 Elm Street
Area(s) of Expertise
Steve McCartin has a comprehensive national bankruptcy practice. With over 25 years of experience, Mr. McCartin has represented secured lenders, debtors, trustees and creditors’ committees, with particular emphasis on large corporate reorganizations. In addition, Mr. McCartin specializes in counseling clients on out-of-court workouts, turnarounds, and the acquisition and sale of distressed assets.
Clients and Matters
Mr. McCartin's representative clients and matters include:
- Donald R. Walker, general partner in over 90 real estate limited partnerships syndicated to 3,500 investors which owned 90 apartment complexes located in seven states.
- Official Creditors’ Committee of American Healthcare Management Inc. which owned and operated 29 hospitals throughout the United States.
- William Herbert Hunt, one of the “Hunt Brothers,” in the largest personal bankruptcy proceeding in the history of the United States.
- Official Unsecured Creditors’ Committee of Greyhound Lines Inc., the sole national intercity bus line in the United States.
- Trammell Crow Company related partnerships which own and operate real estate projects throughout the United States.
- Dallas Market Center Company Ltd., owner of the world’s largest wholesale market facility, in its financial restructuring negotiations with its secured lenders.
- Sfuzzi Inc., owner and operator of 20 Italian bistro restaurants located throughout the United States.
- Official Unsecured Creditors’ Committee of AMRE Inc., NYSE publicly traded company and the national licensee of Sears Roebuck & Co. for home remodeling contracts throughout the United States.
- Harbor Financial Group, Inc. which made $9 billion of residential mortgage loans in 1998.
- Official Unsecured Creditors’ Committee of MJDesigns Inc., owner of 55 arts and crafts retail stores located in eight states.
- WCI Group, owner and operator of a 2,100-mile fiber optic network running from Seattle, Wash. to Portland, Ore. to Anchorage and Fairbanks, Alaska.
- Brook Mays Music Company, owner and operator of 65 retail music stores located throughout the United States.
- J.D., Indiana University School of Law, summa cum laude (1980)
- B.S., Indiana University (1977)
Publications and Speeches
- Speaker, Address at the State Bar of Texas Advanced Creditors’ Rights Course: Piercing the Corporate Veil/Alter Ego
- Speaker, Address to the Dallas Chamber of Commerce: Extending Credit and Collecting from Financially Unstable Customers
- Speaker, Address to the Dallas Chamber of Commerce: Bankruptcy as an Accepted Business Tool - What You Need to Know as a Creditor to Protect Yourself
- Speaker, Address at the Professional Development Institute North American Petroleum Accounting Conference: Bankruptcy Briefing - What Steps Should the Good Guys Take?
- Speaker, Address to the Texas Hospitality Accountants Association: Reorganization and Bankruptcy - What You Can and Cannot Do
- Speaker, Address to Clearwater Information Systems, Inc.: Creditors’ Surprise Weapons - Land Mines & Pitfalls for the Debtor in Bankruptcy
- Speaker, Address to Clearwater Information Systems Inc.: Small Business Bankruptcies Under the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1994
- Speaker, Address to Clearwater Information Systems Inc.: Single Asset Debtors Under the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1994
- Guest Lecturer, Southern Methodist University Cox School of Business
- Former Instructor, Indiana University Real Estate Certification Program
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
Honors and Awards
- Recognized, The Best Lawyers in America (Steven Naifeh & Gregory White Smith eds., Woodward/White Inc.) (2008-2013)
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Recognized, The Best Lawyers in America (Steven Naifeh & Gregory White Smith eds., Woodward/White Inc.) (2012, 2013)
- Recognized, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Tom Wicker ed., Chambers & Partners) (2011)
- Bankruptcy/Restructuring [Texas]
- Recognized, Texas Super Lawyer, Law & Politics Media Inc. as published in Texas Monthly (2005–2007, 2011, 2012)
- Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights
- Recognized, AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell® PEER REVIEW RATINGS™
March 04, 2013
Partner Steve McCartin Represents Snuffer's in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy - More >
September 10, 2012
Texas Super Lawyers Recognizes 49 Gardere Attorneys - More >
August 22, 2012
Best Lawyers 2013 Recognizes 52 Gardere Attorneys - More >
September 13, 2011
47 Gardere Attorneys Named to Texas Super Lawyers - More >
September 12, 2011
The Best Lawyers in America 2012 Recognizes 43 Gardere Attorneys - More >
June 10, 2011
Gardere Named Among Top 2011 Business Law Firms by Chambers USA - More >
August 09, 2010
'Best Lawyers in America' Honors 41 Gardere Attorneys - More >
June 14, 2010
Gardere Recognized By Chambers USA - More >
August 04, 2009
'The Best Lawyers in America' Honors 40 Gardere Attorneys - More >
October 08, 2008
'The Best Lawyers in America' Honors 36 Gardere Partners - More >
October 05, 2007
'Best Lawyers in America' Recognizes 34 Gardere Attorneys - More >