|Practices and Industries
||News and Events
Curtis L. Frisbie, Jr.
Thanksgiving Tower, Suite 3000
1601 Elm Street
Area(s) of Expertise
- Antitrust Specialty Practice Group
A well-known trial lawyer who is listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business in Antitrust in Texas and is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America in both Litigation - Antitrust and Commercial Litigation by Woodward/White Inc., Curt Frisbie has more than 40 years of trial experience. He handles major antitrust and other commercial litigation matters such as shareholder derivative actions, and patent, trademark, and copyright cases. He has substantial experience defending class action cases involving antitrust, RICO, insurance, and other claims. Mr. Frisbie also advises businesses on pricing plans, distributor agreements, and antitrust corporate compliance programs.
Clients and Matters
Mr. Frisbie has represented, among many others:
- Flowers Industries Inc.
- GNC Corp.
- Jordan Reses Supply Co. LLC
- Southwestern Bell Telephone Co.
- The AIG Companies
- Tyler Pipe Industries Inc.
- WPP Group plc
Mr. Frisbie has participated in the trial of 13 antitrust cases, as well as other business litigation and class action disputes, including:
- Represented Merico, a manufacturer of refrigerated dough products, and its parent, Campbell Taggart, Inc. Trial was in Dallas, Texas. Plaintiff alleged violations of the Robinson-Patman Act and an attempt to monopolize through predatory pricing. Damages of $11 million were claimed. Judgment after trial to the court was for defendants on all counts. No appeal was taken.
- Represented the various Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas companies in a jury trial in Dallas, Texas. The plaintiff challenged the reimbursement program of the defendant companies as price fixing and alleged a boycott of his practice, claiming over $3 million in damages. A directed verdict was granted for defendants on all counts. Mr. Frisbie also handled the appeal to the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and the judgment was affirmed.
- Defended Furrs, Inc., a regional supermarket chain, against claims of attempted monopolization and conspiracy to restrain trade brought in the Western District of Texas. Plaintiff claimed damages in excess of $100 million. The defense involved significant exposure to international discovery issues.
- Defended Southwestern Bell Telephone Co. against monopolization claims in the long distance telephone service business. The case was won on motions in the trial court, and Mr. Frisbie made the successful argument in the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Defended various American International Group companies as national counsel in antitrust, RICO, and various state law class actions pending in 14 states.
- Successfully tried a franchise dispute for GNC Corp. in Pittsburgh, Pa. in 2006.
- J.D., St. Mary's University School of Law (1971)
- B.S., University of Alabama (1966)
Publications and Speeches
- Author, Advising the Client, Inside the Minds: Winning Antitrust Strategies, Aspatore Books, Inc. (2004).
- Speaker, Address at Summer Breakfast Seminar, The Healthcare Industry in 2004 and Beyond, Capital Risk: Uninsured Patient Litigation Against Non-Profit Hospitals, Houston, Texas (Sept. 14, 2004).
- Speaker, Address at American Corporate Counsel Association: Contracting With Distributors: Write it Right and Save Money, Dallas, Texas (Oct. 2003).
- Speaker, Address at Litigation in a Changing Business World – Are You Ready?, Advanced Business & Commercial Litigation Course, Antitrust and Business Litigation Section, State Bar of Texas: What Every Business Litigator Needs to Know About Antitrust Laws (May 2001).
- Speaker, Address at Litigation in a Changing Business World – Are You Ready?, Advanced Business & Commercial Litigation Course, Antitrust and Business Litigation Section, State Bar of Texas: The Distribution Contract: What Should Be In It (May 2001).
- Speaker, Address at Southern Methodist University’s Dedman School of Law CLE Program – Antitrust Practice & Professionalism in the 1990s: Relationships Among Competitors – Information Exchanges (Nov. and Dec. 1995).
- Speaker, Address at Practicing Law Institute: Market Power in a Section 2 Case, San Francisco, California (1995).
- Speaker, Address at Dallas Bar Association: Distribution Contracts (Nov. 1992).
- Speaker, Address at Society of CPA’s Meeting: The Damages Expert, Dallas, Texas (June 1991).
- Program Chair, High Profile Business Litigation: Practical and Ethical Issues, Antitrust and Business Litigation Section, State Bar of Texas, Houston, Texas (May 1998).
- Admitted to practice before:
- Texas State Courts
- U.S. District Courts for all districts of Texas
- U.S. District Court for Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd, 5th, 8th, 10th and 11th Circuits
- Texas Supreme Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Antitrust and Business Litigation Section
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Antitrust & Trade Regulation Section
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Sustaining Life Fellow, Dallas Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Recognized, The Best Lawyers in America (Steven Naifeh & Gregory White Smith eds., Woodward/White, Inc.) (2006-2013)
- Recognized, The Best Lawyers in America (Steven Naifeh & Gregory White Smith eds., Woodward/White, Inc.) (2009-2013)
- Recognized, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Tom Wicker ed., Chambers & Partners) (2004-2012)
- Recognized, Texas Super Lawyer, Law & Politics Media Inc. as published in Texas Monthly (each year since its first publication in 2003)
- Recognized, The Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine (2005, 2006)
- Recognized, The Legal 500 - United States (2009)
- Mergers, Acquisitions & Buyouts: Antitrust - Southwest
- Recognized, Who’s Who Legal - The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers (Law Business Research Limited) (2007, 2008)
- Recognized, AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell® PEER REVIEW RATINGS™
- Recipient, Texas Outdoorsman of the Year, Beretta Gallery Texas (2005)
- Recipient, Special Achievement Award, Sustained Superior Performance, U.S. Department of Justice (1974)
- Board Member, Texas Historical Foundation
- Board Member, Dallas Woods & Waters Club
- Board Member, Dallas CASA Endowment Fund, Inc.
- Member, The Tower Club
- Member, Ambassadors’ Council
- Former Board Member, St. Mary's Law School Alumni Association
- Former Board Member, American Heart Association, Atlanta, Ga. Chapter
September 10, 2012
Texas Super Lawyers Recognizes 49 Gardere Attorneys - More >
August 22, 2012
Best Lawyers 2013 Recognizes 52 Gardere Attorneys - More >
June 07, 2012
Gardere Attorneys Earn High Marks in Chambers USA 2012 - More >
September 13, 2011
47 Gardere Attorneys Named to Texas Super Lawyers - More >
September 12, 2011
The Best Lawyers in America 2012 Recognizes 43 Gardere Attorneys - More >
June 10, 2011
Gardere Named Among Top 2011 Business Law Firms by Chambers USA - More >
September 15, 2010
45 Gardere Lawyers Named To Texas Super Lawyers - More >
August 09, 2010
'Best Lawyers in America' Honors 41 Gardere Attorneys - More >
June 14, 2010
Gardere Recognized By Chambers USA - More >
September 16, 2009
Gardere Attorneys Garner Super Lawyers Honors - More >
August 04, 2009
'The Best Lawyers in America' Honors 40 Gardere Attorneys - More >
June 12, 2009
Chambers USA Recognizes 23 Partners and 10 Practice Areas in 2009 - More >
June 08, 2009
Legal 500 Recognizes Gardere for Bankruptcy, Antitrust and Real Estate Practices - More >
October 08, 2008
'The Best Lawyers in America' Honors 36 Gardere Partners - More >
September 17, 2008
Gardere Attorneys Earn Super Lawyers Recognition - More >
June 16, 2008
Gardere Recognized By Chambers USA Among Leading Business Lawyers - More >
October 05, 2007
'Best Lawyers in America' Recognizes 34 Gardere Attorneys - More >
June 24, 2007
Gardere Partners Recognized by Chambers USA - 2007 - More >
September 06, 2006
26 Gardere Attorneys Among 'Best Lawyers In America' - More >
June 08, 2006
Gardere Partners Listed Among Top Business Lawyers-Firm Along with 19 Partners Honored by Chambers USA - More >
August 30, 2005
Twenty-two Gardere Attorneys Named 2006 'Best Lawyers in America' - More >
May 30, 2005
Gardere Partners Among Top Business Lawyers Chambers USA 05 FINAL - More >
April 17, 2005
D Magazine Names Seven Gardere Attorneys 'Dallas' Best' - More >
September 28, 2004
Super Lawyers 2004 Includes 51 Gardere Attorneys - More >
May 25, 2004
Chambers USA Lists Gardere Partners Among Top Business Lawyers 2004 - More >
October 24, 2003
Super Lawyers 2003 Honors 49 Gardere Attorneys - More >
April 23, 2003
Gardere Attorneys Named to D Magazine's List of Best in Dallas - More >
November 03, 2006
Antitrust Investigations of the Private Equity Industry - Private Equity Alert - More >
May 31, 2004
Putting the Genie Back in the Bottle: Certifying a Class Now More Difficult in Texas - Class Action Alert - More >