|Practices and Industries
||News and Events
Alexander C. Chae
Wells Fargo Plaza, Suite 3400
Area(s) of Expertise
Alex Chae represents an array of business clients in litigation involving: complex business and oil & gas matters; trade secrets; patent, trademark, and copyright infringement; breach of contract; bad faith and insurance coverage litigation; federal securities fraud; class actions litigation; shareholder derivative actions; director and officer liability actions; and antitrust.
Clients and Matters
Mr. Chae has represented a variety of clients, including:
- Amegy Bank
- Black Warrior Wireline Corp.
- Catlin Insurance Company Ltd.
- Curocom Energy LLC
- Drillmec Inc.
- Fleet Energy
- Forest Oil Company
- Grey Wolf Inc.
- Houston Exploration Company, The
- IFCO Systems North America Inc.
- Industrial Holdings Inc.
- Paxson Communications Inc.
- Synovus Financial Group
- TransWorld Mortgage Company
- Waste Management Inc.
Mr. Chae’s representative matters include:
- Representing board of directors with regard to hostile proxy solicitation.
- Representing board of directors of a publicly traded company in breach of fiduciary duty litigation.
- Advising board of directors (special and independent committees) of publicly traded companies with regard to tender offers, unsolicited tender offers, and merger transactions.
- Prosecuting take-or-pay litigation on behalf of a gas producer recovering in excess of $100 million and defending related royalty owner claims in proceeds.
- Defending an oil & gas producer against an overriding royalty claimant under 200 oil and gas leases involving in excess of $100 million.
- Defending an oil and gas operator against imprudent operator claims arising out of joint operating agreements.
- Successfully defending a retail business in a $2 million sales tax liability dispute with the state of Texas.
- Representing a South Korean Conglomerate with regard to first U.S. oil and gas investment acquisition in the Barnett Shale.
- Representing a company in litigation against former owners for fraud and breach of an asset purchase agreement.
- Represented international drilling rig manufacturer in breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, and trademark and copyright infringement claims involving drilling rigs.
- J.D., University of Missouri School of Law (1990)
- B.S., Vanderbilt University (1984)
- Admitted to practice before:
- Texas State Courts
- U.S. District Courts for all districts of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Litigation Section
- Oil, Gas, and Energy Resources Law Section
- Member, American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Environment, Energy, and Resources Section
- Member, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Former Vice President of Communications
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Oil, Gas & Mineral Law Section
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow, Houston Bar Foundation
- Member, Asian American Bar Association
- Former Director
- Former President
- Member, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
Honors and Awards
- Recognized, AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell® PEER REVIEW RATINGS™
- Director, Asia Society
- Member, Board of Directors
- Elder, Bethel Independent Presbyterian Church
- Director, The Source for Women
- Advisory Board Member, Rice University Chao Center for Asian Studies
- Member, The Center for Houston's Future
- Advisory Committee Member, Whispering Pines Golf Club
- Graduate, Leadership Houston
- Director, Leadership Houston Endowment
- Former Chairman, Ethics Committee, City of Houston
- Former Chairman, Mayoral Advisory Board for International Affairs and Development – Asia and Australia (2006)